A full back who served the club as a player for ten years and then in various capacities behind the scenes for three times as long.
Beginning his carer in Wales with Ton Pentre, he was spotted by a Tottenham scout and became a Spurs player in August 1922. He originally came in as a wing-half, but found it easier to claim a place in the side at left back. Cecil got a regular place in the team in 1924-25 and won recognition from the FA with a slot in the team for the Australian tour of 1925 and was also selected to play for the professionals against the Amateurs in the 1925 FA Charity Shield match. It was on the Australian tour that he picked up an injury that was to trouble him throughout his career and kept him out throughout the following season, leaving Matt Forster to stake his claim for the left back slot.
However, Poynton managed to retain his place and was a regular over the coming seasons, but there were spells when his injury kept him out. He had the unenviable record of being the first Spurs player ever to be sent off in the 65th minute of the First Division game at Stoke on 27th October 1928.
Was given the captain's role at Tottenham in November 1929 and as his footballing career was coming to an end, Cec took up a role as player-coach for the reserve side in 1933-34. He also had two periods in charge of Ramsgate Town, worked for the North Met Electric Company and was a scout for THFC, helping out at the club during World War II on match days.
Was welcomed back into the fold in 1945 as the first team's assistant trainer before being promoted to trainer in January 1947. Poynton was also called in to provide assistance to the FA XI, who took on Cambridge University in November 1947 and then for the England team when they played Italy in 1949.
Cec was a popular and well recognised man around the club and continued as club trainer until 1972, when he moved to be the Spurs physiotherapist until 1975, by which time he had served over 50 years at the club.
Cecil Poynton died at St. Ann's General Hospital, Tottenham on 12th January 1983.